A new year, same resolution for me.....eat better, lose some weight. I made a really good Bon Appetit' salad last night. I changed it a little, and I think if you want to make it lighter, you can omit the bacon and make the dressing a little lighter. I used those sweet pepper dews because Chuck doesn't like tomato, it added a sweet bite to the salad.
Cooking all morning, made egg cups, home made granola bars and a chicken waldorf salad from, you guessed it, Bon Appetit'. (recipe at the end of the page)
· 1 cup walnuts
· 4 slices bacon
· 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled, divided
· ½ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
· ½ cup mayonnaise
· 5 teaspoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
· 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon hot sauce
· Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
· 1 head of iceberg lettuce, cut crosswise into four 1-inch-thick slices
· 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
· 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered, I used those little pepperdews
· 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
Preheat oven to 350°. Toast walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning halfway through, until brown and crisp, 8–10 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Let cool; crumble.
Place half of blue cheese in a medium heatproof bowl and microwave on medium until melted, about 1 minute (this will make it easier to whisk). Add crème fraîche, mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, and hot sauce to blue cheese and whisk until smooth; season dressing with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold, at least 30 minutes.
Place 1 slice of iceberg lettuce on each plate and spoon about ¼ cup dressing over each. Top with walnuts, bacon, celery, tomatoes, tarragon, and remaining blue cheese.
Chicken Waldorf Salad
· 6 Tbsp mayonnaise (or plain yogurt)
· 1 Tbsp lemon juice
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
· 2 sweet apples, cored and chopped
· 1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half (or 1/4 cup of raisins)
· 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
· 1 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
· ½ cup chopped cooked chicken
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise (or yogurt), lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir in the apple, celery, grapes, and walnuts, chicken. Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce.
If you use yogurt the recipes suggest to add a little honey and omit the lemon juice.
Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/#ixzz53EYjzxjr