more cooking with momma....
Bagel bombs for breakfast and vegetable lentil soup for lunch. We added egg, cheese and ham to our breakfast bagels but you could do eggs, veggies or do a pizza bagel bomb and add mozzarella and pepperoni. It starts with some pizza dough, you could make it (if you can find yeast) or use store bought, thats what I did.
This soup can be made vegetarian, just omit bacon. With my soup I skipped the orzo just because we have been eating too much pasta :)
Vegetable Lentil Soup
· 4 slices of thick cut bacon
· 1 onion, chopped
· 3 garlic cloves, chopped
· 1 celery stalk, chopped
· 1 carrot, diced
· 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
· 8 oz green lentils
· 8 cups hot chicken stock
· 4 oz orzo
· flatleaf parsley, chopped
· parmesan cheese for serving
1. Cook the bacon, until crisp, add chopped onion, garlic, celery and diced carrot in a medium Dutch oven for 5-8 minutes until the veggies are soft – there should be enough oil in the bacon so you won’t need to add more.
2. Add the tomatoes, cook for 1-2 minutes or until incorporated then stir in the lentils and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the orzo pasta and cook for a further 8-10 minutes until both the lentils and pasta are tender. Stir in the parsley then ladle into bowls and serve with plenty of black pepper, and parmesan cheese.
1 pound of pizza dough
4 oz shredded cheese
4 oz diced ham
12 cups water
1 tablespoon honey
Everything bagel seasoning
1. Divide the pizza dough into 8 even pieces and roll into balls. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
2. While you wait for the dough to rise, scramble the eggs in a nonstick pan over medium heat, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside and let cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a nonstick baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Gently flatten the dough balls with your palm, (rolling out with rolling pin worked better)and top with the eggs, diced ham, and shredded cheddar cheese. Pull the sides of the dough up and around the filling, pinching to seal. Continue until the filling is completely covered and dough is sealed. Place, seam-side down, on the prepared baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel. Let sit for 15 minutes.
5. Fill a large pot with 12 cups of water and bring to a gentle boil. Mix in 1 tablespoon honey. Place half of the bagel bundles into the boiling water for 1 minute, turning once halfway through. Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the second half of the bagels.
6. Sprinkle the bagels with everything bagel seasoning and then bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. ( After 20 mins mine were golden brown.) Serve warm, or let cool to room temperature, wrap individually, and freeze for future use.