Well, it is cold and flu season. I caught a little cold while I was visiting in Fayetteville. The first thing I do is Emergent C, lots of water and I make chicken soup. I love soup, tomato soup with grilled cheese, clam chowder, beef barley soup and chicken tortilla soup. They are all good. This is the easy recipe I use for chicken soup, you could add left over turkey or chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken.
Chicken Noodle Soup
2 teaspoons butter
1 cup sliced celery, 3 stalks
1 cup chopped carrot, 4 carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion about ½ large onion
1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
8 cups of chicken broth
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon chicken base
8 ounces egg noodles
2 cups cooked chicken breast or a rotisserie chicken
Melt butter in large pot.
Sauté the celery, carrot and onion for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add thyme, poultry seasoning, chicken broth and bouillon.
Bring to a boil.
Add noodles and chicken and cook on low for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley.
Beef Barley Vegetable Soup
· 1 1⁄2 lbs. lean stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
· 2 tablespoons flour
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 8 cups beef broth or stock
· 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
· 1⁄2 cup barley
· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· 1 tablespoon salt
· 1 teaspoon basil
· 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
· 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
· 2 cups carrots, cut to desired thickness
· 1 cup celery, cut to desired thickness
· 1 medium onion, chopped to desired chunks
1. In a gallon Ziploc bag, place meat and flour. Shake until the meat is evenly coated. Heat oil in a large pot and brown meat. It will stick some but don't worry about that, just don't let it burn.
2. Remove meat, add a little more oil, cook onions, celery, garlic and carrots, cook for 5-6 minutes, add basil, stir cook a couple more mins. Add meat back to pan.
3. Add broth, tomatoes, barley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and ½ hour, stirring every so often, until the meat is tender and the veggies are to your liking.