It's cold, everyone has colds and flu's....time for chicken soup. I have a chicken noodle soup that I like to make but I thought I would try this Healthyish recipe. It has ginger, garlic and sweet potatoes. I made it this morning and its good!
Give it a try!!
Feel Better Chicken Soup
· ¾ lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
· ⅓ cup jasmine rice, rinsed
· 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
· 1 2" piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
· Kosher salt
· 2 small sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into ½"-thick rounds
· 1 stalk celery chopped
· 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
· 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
· ½ bunch cilantro, or Italian flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
· Freshly ground black pepper
Bring chicken, rice, garlic, ginger, celery and 5 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add a big pinch of salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until rice has swelled and chicken is firm, 10–12 minutes.
Add potatoes to pan and cook over medium-low heat, still uncovered and stirring occasionally, until soup is thickened and potatoes and rice are tender, 15–20 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a bowl and shred with 2 forks, then return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and soy sauce; taste soup and season with salt if needed. Divide soup among bowls.
Top with cilantro or parsley and lots of black pepper.